Friday, May 05, 2006

Admissions

First of all, Happy Cinco de Mayo. This is a stupid, stupid holiday, as far as I'm concerned, but people celebrate it and so those of you who do, enjoy.

...Perhaps I should elaborate on WHY I think it's stupid. I'll start by reminding you, I have more Mexican heritage than anything else, so it's not like its a racial thing. No, in fact, until this morning, I thought it was an interesting day. However, that was based on bad information. Though I have a lot of Mexican blood, my family (on that side) is very Americanized, so I know very little about it. What I found out is that Cinco de Mayo is NOT the equivalent of the 4th of July...it's a celebration of the Mexicans defeating the French in the Battle of Puebla.

Beating the French is not worthy of a holiday. That's like awarding money to someone for beating a two year old in a cage match.

Second...I love The Office. Yes, I know it's not like I'm the first to say so. The thing is, at first, I wasn't interested at all. It didn't look that great and it's an adaptation of a British comedy. How many of THOSE have been good? What's that? Almost none? Indeed. In fact, I missed the entire first season (all 6 episodes), and the first episode I saw of the second season was the Halloween episode. At that point, I decided I didn't like it because the only actor in the show I was familiar with (Steve Carell) played an obnoxious boss who tried to be cool but came off as just pathetic. The little shot at the end of the episode of him home alone as the kids came over trick-or-treating was just entirely too sad.

And not in the "I feel for you" way.

In the "Wow. Loser" way.

Anyway, since it comes on right after "My Name is Earl" and right before "ER" (I feel obligated to watch ER because...I always have...it's there and I feel compelled to come back to it. Actually, since its not focusing so much on the ER as it is the Darfur stuff, I'm rather enjoying the show lately) , I kinda caught it a time or two after it by accident.

Then it hit me. This show is genius. I just needed some exposure for the characters to grow on me. Dwight's line from the drug test episode "It has to be official and it has to be urine"...dude. Dwight has to be the best villain on tv because he's evil the way so many real people are evil. He's so wrapped up in himself that he's...dude. And...I hate to admit it, but I'm totally wrapped up in the near-romance between Jim and Pam. I blame comic books for hooking me on serial things, and my wife for making me understand romance, so once I began to care about these people (because the show is well-written enough that you care about the characters) and every time it takes a turn for the worse, I find myself thinking "Aw...poor Jim." Plus, the episode last night where they listed off a few of the pranks he'd pulled on Dwight...I'll tell you what, just the thought of them...I had to exercise a great deal of restraint not to try one of them out today. Not really the kind of environment where that'd work, here. Anyway, the problem with the Jim/Pam thing is that I want to feel bad for Pam's fiance. I mean, he must care for her. It's just obvious that Jim does so much more. At least, while she's unavailable.

In other news, I'm such a girl.

Anyway, after seeing a few more episodes, I've decided that, yes, Michael is a loser. However, he's also so pathetic it's funny. I really like that show. That, of course, means that by some freak event, it won't be back next season, even if it IS supposed to.

Third, it would appear that my links have claimed another victim. Reasoned Cognition is on hiatus until the 15th. Or so he says. I'm not saying he's lying. I'm just saying that my links are very powerful. In a negative way.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chuck Cottrell said...

I once took on the entire French army. True story.

Admittedly, it was when the French army consisted of, like, five guys and a Cuisinart, but man those food processors put up one hell of a fight.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home