Friday, March 17, 2006

NetFlix - Less than Spectacular

In spite of my earlier excitement, I am not at all impressed with Netflix. If I watch a movie the day it arrives and return it the next morning, I can get exactly one movie a week (on the $9.99 plan - 1 movie at a time with unlimited rentals...the cheapest, excluding the $6.99 for 3 movies a month which seems to be only available through ads on MSN). That works out to, roughly, $2.50/rental. That's definitely cheaper than the video store here, but given that there are over 150 selections on our list right now, there's little chance we'll get through them any time soon. Plus, with a good part of my contribution to the list being tv series that I missed (24 seasons 1-4, Lost season 1, The Greatest American Hero, etc....), there's little reason to expect to see them in a worthwhile fashion. I may as well just eliminate all of those since I don't care to waste our one chance of entertainment a week, every other week for the next 3 years, on something Andria won't be remotely interested in. Sure, it's possible to upgrade. The 2-at-a-go option is just $15 a month, but that starts moving into a place where we're slaves to the rental, which we will be...it's our nature, and we'll be consumed with getting our money's worth out of it. Truth be told, we'd get our money's worth out of it when the third movie came, if you match it against the local video racket's prices, but that's not the point.

Or maybe it should be.

Maybe I should try to convince Andria that to make it worth it we should upgrade. That way, she can still watch her musicals ("If I were a rich man...da da da dada...") and I could catch up on glorius television (I think they have the A-Team and maybe even Thundercats).

But then, that kind of thinking is exactly how they get you...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home