Thursday, March 02, 2006

Brain dump

Warning: The following is probably disjointed and random, held together loosely under the idea that it all came from the same head. Mine, that is.

So, I've been going through an odd spell, lately. Without any creative output of my own, I've been limping by on my daily list (the ones down the side of this blog, plus PVP, Penny Arcade, and Real Life). (Oh, and Mac Hall. I kinda forget to list that one since it only updates roughly once a month. That's better than some, I suppose ((read: my comic)), but still, it used to go through spurts and now it just dribbles.) Anyway, that's left me with not much, and when you factor in other things like how Eric Burns has been all but silent on Websnark (sad fact is, I don't care what Wednesday has to say about anything because, while I don't always match up with Eric as taste goes, nothing she reads ever mattered to me...I mean, she's obsessed with Jack Chick) and if you look at the Websnark main page, he's nowhere to be found. And don't get me started on Brigadier General John Stark. Burns gets me interested in a visually repetitive and static comic based on words alone (no mean feat) and then just stops?!? Dude!

Anyway, it hasn't been all downers. I read through the archives for Zebra Girl, which I'd dismissed as being either a furry comic or a fan-service festival in the past, only to realize its really good. Maybe you noticed from a few of the Vapor Lock comics, but I really do get down on with the supernatural stuff. Plus, between the art and the pacing, there's a lot to enjoy. Dude rocks at foreshadowing. Stuff'll happen in a panel or two during one storyline and you won't think anything of it until it becomes important later. Of course, I had the benefit of reading all 5 years worth in two days time, so maybe it seemed more obvious, but still, I like the way he handles the story.

I seem to be at an impasse when it comes to the "new comic" (which has been named in a place not here....so go look for it already, ya bum!). Artistically, I think I'm ready, though only time and available reference materials will tell (I need building reference for cityscapes, which are my weakest area by far....see the early pages of Troubled Times for evidence). I'm trying to script right now, but, while I already have a solid number of characters primed for the superhero parts (and more coming all the time...which isn't as helpful as you might think since I'm forced to sketch them out so I'll remember them later...I am lacking in direction and, thus, characters for the more mundane aspects of the main characters' lives. This isn't a problem for Widow (ooh...I let slip a character's name!!!) but it is for....(sorry, one thing at a time). In spite of certain difficulties inherent in getting a project started, I'm still rather stoked about this one. I've had it on my mind for a while and I really want to do it justice, so I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to continue to bear with me. PLUS, should you feel any desire at all to make any comments or suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home