Tuesday, June 19, 2007

WARNING: IMAGE ONSLAUGHT!

But, first, a brief explanation. These were done for my pastor, who is speaking at a children's church camp this week. In the mornings, he is teaching them a system for remembering the books of the New Testament (that's the second part...not half...of the Bible which is occasionally distributed by itself with Psalms and Proverbs as bonus books).

I don't understand the system at all. I think it's going to confuse the crap out of them, but...I had fun drawing it all. So, here they are, in order of appearance...




























I could try to explain some of them, but the explanations are flimsy. Like I said, the kid's will probably just be confused, but at least they'll have some funny pictures to see.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Chuck Cottrell said...

It actually looks like it's related to a memorization technique the speech and language therapist here at school uses with students and that I've heard mentioned in some of my education classes. You come up with a word that is connected in your mind to the word or idea you want to memorize. You draw an image to go with your associated term, and that (in theory) helps you remember.

It's a pretty stupid technique, from what I can tell.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Noise Monkey said...

This is more complicated than that. For example, 2nd Peter is the 22nd book in the New Testament. if you turn the 2's in 22 sideways you get two "n"s. In the picture, the boy (Peter Brady...heh heh) is holding a tiny fish with No Net (in contrast with Peter the Apostle and his gigantic fish in a large net for 1st Peter). This reminds you of the picture and how the boy is Peter who came in 2nd.

Which is so much more difficult than just remembering the stupid song I learned them with.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Chuck Cottrell said...

I just sat down with the table of contents of my Bible and memorized them by rote.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Noise Monkey said...

You are a strange man. You do the same with the dictionary?

6:09 AM  
Blogger Chuck Cottrell said...

Yes. Why do you think my vocabulary is the way it is?

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've seen a similar technique used on flash cards. Speaking as one of the kids it was used on, I have to say that I was very confused. I only remember the pictures for Corinthians (an aboriginal apple core in this case - "Core Indians") and Peter (a crying legume - "Pea Tear"). I still can't get them in order beyond Romans.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home