Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Vague Warnings and Finished Things

I started a new stick of deodorant the other day. Usually, I don't think much of it. I just remove the lid, pull that little plastic plug off the top and swipe it around my underarm area. For some reason, though, I noticed a message pressed into the stick. I've seen them before, but never paid much attention. This time, it caught my eye, saying "Take the risk".

What risk?

Does the deodorant know something about the future that I don't? I'm not entirely comfortable with a hygiene product that knows more about my destiny than I do.

Or is it just saying I need to shoplift a certain war-based board game?

Anyway, turned 29 on Monday. Saw Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Or, really, Pirates of the Caribbean 2b, since the second one really didn't have much of an end to it. Less so than most movies in the middle of a trilogy. I mean, think about it...

The Empire Strikes Back
  • Luke's Jedi training........finished
  • Rescuing Han and Leia........finished (not entirely successfully, but still...)
  • Han and Leia's admissions of love (well, as much as Han is ready to do to this point)..........finished
All that's left hanging is Han's fate and the trilogy arc with Luke and Vader. Another one...

Back to the Future, Part II
  • Sports almanac..........finished
  • Fixing the present...............finished
The one thing that was left was what happened to Doc and how Marty was going to get home...which was only introduced at the end as a teaser for Part III.

PotC 2 had none of that, so I couldn't, a year ago, tell you if it was a good movie or not. Entertaining for the 2 hours or so that I watched it, surely. But it wasn't until I saw "3" that I could tell you how the 2nd should be judged.

However, I have to say, it is good.

Highlight for me.......best film wedding. Ever.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chuck Cottrell said...

The current trend of movie sequels that aren't actually complete films in and of themselves (Pirates 2 & 3, the second and third Matrix movies) kind of annoys me. It's totally possible to have a middle film in a trilogy contain a complete story within it and still set the stage for the final act. Empire did it. The Spider-Man films managed it (I did dig Spidey 3, I must say). But yeah, I'm interested to see Pirates 2b myself.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Noise Monkey said...

The Spider-Man movies are less a trilogy and more a set of movies revolving around the same characters(unless you argue that the overarching story is his relationship with Harry or, I suppose, even MJ, though that one had no real defined completion to it...ie marriage, separation or death).

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home