Friday, April 20, 2007

Feh, Art...

I mentioned before how I was an art major in college. Got my BA, which, as is proven by not having a job in art, is BS. The thing about art is that, while I enjoy drawing (and to a lesser degree, photography, sculpture & painting...in that order), I don't care for art.

Or, really, I don't care for artists and art lovers. I'm talking about high art, here. Popular art is more real to me. Graphic design, cartooning, that sort of thing...that's unpretentious art. The problem is (generally) people who make gallery art (and the people who fawn over them). I watched a video with Andria last night (after ER but before I turned on the end of Wednesday's Jericho episode) on John Cage, a "composer" and general flake responsible for the "musical" abomination 4'33", a piano piece which is four minutes and thirty-three seconds of whatever the crap happens to be going on in the room except the piano. The pianist approaches the piano, sits down and then, for the next four and a half minutes, keeps an eye on his watch.

This is EXACTLY why I hate art. You can do the stupidest crap and call it art and people will think you're some sort of visionary. That's just screwing around!

In short, the emperor's freaking naked!

I propose a piece of performance art. Go down to the busiest part of the town you live in or nearest to. Scream, as loud as you possibly can, "I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am!" Then, when people are gawking at you, run over and suckerpunch the nearest one. Then, when the cops come, tell them it was art.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home