Thursday, March 29, 2007

This All Seems So Familiar...

So, I watched Star Wars last night.

I didn't think it was Star Wars when I put it in the DVD player, and I think George Lucas has gone too far with his changes now, but I recognized the story as Star Wars. It had a farm boy who was the chosen one. It had the mentor who starts said farm boy on the path, then promptly dies saving the princess. It even had a final, climactic battle where the bad guys, led by the evil wizard, attack the rebels at their base. The main difference was that all the space stuff had been taken out and replaced with dragons.

The title on the DVD said it was called Eragon and I'm guessing that Christopher Paolini is a pen name Lucas used so as to keep Star Wars purists from firebombing Skywalker Ranch.

That said, it wasn't a bad movie. I like Star Wars in its many incarnations, so there wasn't really much to dislike. Jeremy Irons was good as Obi-Brom Kenobi and the CGI dragon was convincing enough. The kid Murtagh was a poor Han Solo, and there wasn't any wookie at all, but the dragon was an acceptable trade for R2-D2 (which I guess makes the farm boy part C-3PO) even if she lacked R2's charisma.

All in all, worth Netflixing (does anyone else use Netflix as a verb?), though I'm fine with having missed it in the theater.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home