Monday, June 04, 2007

Inviso-Monkey

It occurs to me that my presence here is almost as unnecessary as it is unnoticed. I haven't properly drawn a comic in nearly a year and a half now. What I did draw has shuffled off to that place where things go to die in obscurity.

You know, that same place where all the comics I've almost done in the aforementioned year and a half have gone.

I keep holding out hope that somehow I'll start making comics again, but it isn't happening. The only story I'm particularly interested in (working title: The Art of Self-Destruction) really wouldn't work as a comic. At least, not as I've conceived it. For comics, I don't have the time to tell the stories I want to tell. The first chapter (especially) of Troubled Times shows what happens when I try to rush a comic book-style strip.

It's pretty ugly.

That leaves shorter strip-style comics, like Vapor Lock. Except, at the end, I was working VL away from that. The thing is, I know exactly where it would pick up. I knew it a year ago. I even drew up new character designs for the cast reflecting that things had changed in the interim. I don't have time to draw them in that style, though. In fact, chances are that artistically, VL vol. 3 would be a step backwards as far as where I want to go is concerned. The same would be true of almost any strip I could do.

So, I'm still stuck.

Fortunately, I'll at least have something artish to do for the next couple weeks (probably). My preacher asked me to draw some illustrations for a camp he's speaking at. A little short notice, considering how many he wants. Heck, short notice for me, no matter the number, but I think it sounds fun.

Plus, he offered to pay. And, to quote Cutler Beckett, "Currency is the currency of the realm."

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You might be useless as far as comics are concerned, but I enjoy reading your posts. They are quite enlightening. They make me happy.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home