Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Things Impermanent

I've been watching Reaper. That is, I've watched the two episodes that have been on. I don't see it lasting, though I really have to way of gauging how long things like this would have to live on a lesser network like the CW. That's not to say I'm not enjoying the show. I think it's funny enough. I like the concept. Even the Devil is a likable enough character. The problem is, I can still see this scenario taking place.

It's the day Reaper comes on. Tuesday, I suppose. I don't know. It shows up on the DVR. Anyway, just before it airs, the power goes out and doesn't come back on until after the show ends. Elsewhere, I'm...I dunno, shopping at Wal-Mart (that seems to be the thing I'm usually doing when I'm not at home). There, the power flickers, momentarily, but comes right back on. Later, I get home and notice the power has been off for some amount of time because the microwave needs to be reset. Again (I swear, that thing needs to be reset if a stiff breeze comes along). Anyway, I get everything back to normal and plop down for some tv. And I have no idea I missed the show.

That's what makes me think it won't be around for long. I get invested in things pretty easily, but, even though I like it, I don't feel invested in it. If it went away, I don't know I would notice. Not for a while, anyway.

And it doesn't help that they've made their episode format so obvious. Every episode, towards the end, the Devil will take Sam someplace. While there, someone will die. Every episode, Ben will be injured by the bad guy. There are some other things that slip my mind. Probably something about Sock and his ex trading insults while she offers Sam some kind of information. Oh, at the end of the episode there will be some longing looks shared between Sam and Andi and the Devil will have something to do in that scene.

That's one part that bothers me most. The relationship between Sam and Andi is like Jim and Pam (The Office...duh), except Andi isn't engaged to anyone. Or even dating, from what we've seen. The only thing keeping them apart is that they're both too stupid to ask each other out. Grr. Needless. It's tension for tension's sake!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home