Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ok, Not THAT Alive...

I don't know what's up with the lack of comics. I do know that I am consistently thwarted in my attempts to make with the comicking, but that only covers my side. Yesterday, for instance, I was trying to draw in chapel, it's what I always do, when one of the student gestapo made me put it away. Apparently, as a staff member, I do not have immunity to certain rules. It's unfortunate that I am largely unable to focus my attention without the ability to draw in chapel, as well.

I know, having a distraction so that I can pay attention sounds counterintuitive, but it works for me. If Aaron was there, bouncing him around and such to keep him quiet would also work, but he doesn't go to college here.

You know, because he's a baby.

I'm sure that the attention thing signifies something, but your guess is as good as mine as to what. The common suspect is ADD in most cases, but I don't completely fit that profile. I think it has to do, partially at least, with TV training. The scene doesn't change often enough in classes and such for me to maintain strict attention. The thing is, it doesn't bother me that I can't give 100% attention. I LIKE drawing while listening. The product of the drawing time usually helps anchor the thing learned until it sticks in more permanent storage. And, of course, it's nice to have something drawn.

This time, however, it turned out that I didn't need to draw to pay attention. It seems that mild embarrassment and frustration make a decent substitute.

Just not as productive a one.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about needing something to 'distract' you in order to pay attention. I have the same sort of thing, though I have difficulty finding something of the right level of distraction. I just need something to occupy one part of my brain because otherwise it will get bored, take over, and I will be fully distracted.

As a way of breaking the anti-comicking block, would it be possible for you to do a one-off comic or two? Something that doesn't need a full storyline or anything, but just stands alone. Might help.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Noise Monkey said...

I actually thought that the 18 or so Crooked Halo comics I did for Chuck were the beginning of something for me...but that was a year ago. My latest failed idea was a period piece based on the old Irish folk song Whiskey in the Jar.

Most people know it as a Metallica (or Thin Lizzy if you're old) song, but the opportunity to actually sit down and draw didn't materialize while I had the itch to draw it. Maybe the next shiny thing will hold my attention longer...

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home