Tuesday, October 25, 2005

That's why they have books...

Yesterday I ended up picking up a jumpdrive at Wal-Mart. $30 bucks, no big deal (except that it probably means I won't be getting Revenge of the Sith for a few weeks...grr...), but the REASON is kind of irritating. As I've mentioned, or at least inferred, my wife and I don't live on campus at the U of O (where she goes to school and where I work). In fact, we live so far out that they just started offering DSL in my area a couple months ago (of course I can't afford it now...), so we've been on dial-up as long as we've had phone service (I didn't have a phone in the house when it was just me...I hate phones). Well, for class, Andria needed to download a PowerPoint presentation her professor had put together to study for the mid-term. Funny thing was, no matter how long she sat and waited for it, it never showed any progress. So she asks me to save it to a disk at work (since I'm already on the school's network and can get it from the public drive), to which I reply, "ok".

Not ok. The file was 77 meg!

I don't know about you, but I don't carry around 54 3ΒΌ" disks with me, and Hotmail caps their attachments at 10 meg. That's a wee bit shy of of 77.

Well, I got smart, opened up PowerPoint and chopped it up into 9 chunks and tried to email them home (sure, it'd take forever to download all of them, but at least they'd be there). Does that work? NOOOOOOOOOO! The network at school is down. Well, downish. It's not 100% down, but if you're doing ANYTHING that requires more than viewing TEXT, it ain't happening. That means, no emailing.

You know, by the opening of this post how I solved the problem. I don't mind buying techy things. I LIKE technology. Gadgets are my friends! I just don't like being forced to do stuff because people can't be practical about things (like making the stupid presentation a manageable size) or get their crap together (and make the bloody network WORK).

I can't be too mad at the professor, though. She likes Star Wars.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but you missed the obvious!

This assumes you are using windows...

1. Get & install free/demo FTP server software on home PC.
2. Register a domain name.
3. Run name service through a free site like ZoneEdit. Register ftp.yourdomain.com
4. Get free Name-to-temporary-IP software. This will let you dial in to your ISP and always be known as FTP.yourdomain.com, even though you probably don't have a static IP. Don't tell your ISP though, they generally don't like that.
5. Start the FTP service.
6. Go to school and log in to your FTP site
7. Copy the file over!
8. Go home and kill the FTP service and the name-to-IP program.

Or, perhaps your school has an FTP site you can use??

Or, there's always this: http://www.xdrive.com/

I hate letting other people's failures cause me to spend money!!!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Noise Monkey said...

...While this is obviously spam, I'd like to point out that FTP REQUIRES A WORKING INTERNET CONNECTION WHICH THE SCHOOL'S NETWORK DIDN'T PROVIDE JUST LIKE I SAID IN THE ORIGINAL POST!!!!


....grr.....

And shouldn't the protection thing be keeping this crap out??

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, it WASN'T spam. And you just royally pissed off someone who has been reading your shit for a long time.

You said your network was DOWNISH. Not down. FTP is a better way to transfer files than stupid email attachments that large.

Attempt at a damn joke while escaping work for a few minutes. I won't mistake your site as a friendly place for humor again! Here I thought comics were, at heart, usually funny!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Noise Monkey said...

I suppose I won't have to worry about you reading this, but you'll have to understand that I've got low tolerance for things that look like spam.

And, yes, expecting anything funny from me was delusional. I'm the angry one.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Chuck Cottrell said...

Yes, everyone knows I'm the funny, charming one...

...which is why the Monkey has a wife and I'm alone. So, so alone...

6:39 PM  
Blogger Noise Monkey said...

The world's an unjust place. I'm just happy I can perpetuate the system.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home