Monday, August 29, 2005

Would You Like a Kidney, Too?!?

Ugh. It's unpleasant, I tell you.

A week...or...*ahem*...two ago, my wife instigated a cleaning of our bedroom, a task which we hadn't undertaken since we got married. That meant that her crap and my crap were sitting in piles on top of the dressers and everything else in what had become a rather cramped sleeping space.

Well, to her credit, she did an amazing job getting everything out of the room on her own and putting her stuff back in an orderly fashion. My stuff was a bit more difficult. I mean, the majority of my stuff is comprised of 6 boxes of comics. That's 5 small ones and one long box roughly the size of three of the others. The mandate was I needed to separate out what I wasn't going to keep, you know, cut the fat.

You have to understand the relationship I have with comics. I've loved them since I first got my hands on one. I was intrigued by them before I ever actually owned one. Once I had some, I needed more. My first major comic purchase was a grab bag set from the JC Penny or Sears catalog. I read through all 25 comics in about two hours. Some weren't so great. In that set, though, I was simultaneously introduced to Storm and Gambit (X-Men) in a lackluster issue that also happened to be Gambit's introduction. It's varied in price between $15 and $50 since then, and, at least as far as I'm aware, is the one that's potentially most valuable. Especially of the ones I'd consider parting with. I have a couple others that would be more difficult to part with because of who drew them. My idols take priority over monetary value (unless it meant...not being able to eat or something, I guess).

So I took yesterday and, fighting everything in me, managed to pick at least half of them out for removal. HALF! It wasn't easy. I had to part with a few issues I wanted to keep for one reason or other in favor of others that were just drawn better. That included some issues with covers by the aforementioned idols with content between the covers by someone else. There's a particular Uncanny X-Men issue with a cover drawn by Madureira that falls somewhere in the lead-up to the Onslaught super-crossover that I ended up getting rid of that I purchased in the first place based on merit of the cover alone. There are some others that I bought because I thought they'd be worth something and now I don't care if they actually are enough to hold on to them.

By the way, if you're interested I've got some comics that might actually be worth having in my cast-off pile. Send me a list of things you could be looking for and we'll talk (the bulk of this is from 1996-2000).

Anyway, parting with these comics was kind of like seeing an old friend move away, never to return. The only difference being, I'm going to try and sell my old friend on Ebay and make some of that green back (did you know I had a $40 a week comic habit at one point? I'd KILL for that kind of disposable income now!)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chuck Cottrell said...

I'd just kill to have disposable income.

Come to that, I'd kill to have ANY income at the moment.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home