Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Ship Being Jumped: A Work in Progress

Today is my last day in the library.

That's one of those sentences that proves, rather conclusively, that I'll never be a professional writer. I mean, in conveying a rather profound and life-changing event, I managed to suck all the drama out of it and leave you with the emotional equivalent of a Denny's waitress delivering hash browns. The fact is, that this is a bit scary. I'm leaping into the unknown blindly. But, if there's a time to go, this is certainly it.

Since Chuck is my hero, I've decided to follow him into teaching.

Ok, maybe Chuck had nothing to do with it, but he is a heck of a nice guy. And taller than I remember. Strange. Anyway, it's been one of those things that I've wanted to do for some time, in a private-to-myself-and-lovely-wife sense, but something that was out of reach by circumstances. The thing is, now, I can get and the getting is good. I plan to get my feet wet doing some substitute teaching and, simultaneously, looking for a throw-away job to keep the cash coming until the alternative licensure program kicks up in the summer. Then, God willing, I'll score a sweet job teaching art at some school within driving distance of my residence.

Short driving distance. I don't want to spend the whole day in the car, thanks.

At present, though, I don't know who will have jobs open in the area. That's scary. That either means that a job needs to be created, someone needs to move, or someone needs to take a stroll through the pearly gates.

Side note: please don't kill anyone just so I can get a job. I know how it might seem like you're doing me a favor, but I've seen enough Law & Order to know you wouldn't be. Thanks.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Chuck Cottrell said...

Ooooh, career change! It seems that everyone I know is moving into the education field.

That's kinda terrifying, now that I think of it.

Y'know, I'm pretty sure Caldwell's inhaled enough clay dust in his life to probably be pretty close to death, right?

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home