Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Reserved

It never fails to amaze me how many reserve materials I receive in the last two weeks of a semester at work.

I should clarify.

As you may remember, I work at a university library. The work is mostly paper-based and I shuffle a lot of books between our library and others. The reserves, you may be shocked to learn, are materials professors either grab from the shelves or bring in and have me log specially as they are RESERVED for the use of their particular classes. Usually, only within the library walls, so that they may be available for all the class members and not just the first clown that waltzes in and checks them all out.

That brings to mind the first assignment I had in my Art History I class years ago. This guy came in and checked out all the books relevant to our first paper before anyone else could. I, of course, found this out after the fact because I didn't do the first paper. It had slipped my notice. Anyway, that was particularly amusing later in the semester when he dropped the class with a failing grade. Apparently he didn't use the books.

Back on topic, items which are used on reserve are almost universally listed in the syllabi of the professors, which are handed out at the beginning of the semester after being submitted to the department heads before classes begin. That is to say, professors know before classes start what materials they will be using throughout the semester. At least on paper. And yet, every semester, through the last week of classes, professors bring in things that their students will be responsible for.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge them the procrastination. I'm ALL about procrastination. "Why do now what you can get a deadline extension on?" I always say. But, these are the same guys that feed you unbelievable amounts of crap for turning in your assignments the way they're turning in their materials for you to read. What's good for the goose is good for the...guy eating the goose...I don't know. Anyway, I'm just saying that perhaps it wouldn't kill them to either a) get their crap done in the beginning when they're supposed to or b) be a little more understanding to the guy who didn't do his paper on-time because he was busy playing Halo...or whatever it is the kids are playing these days.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home